As spring slowly approaches, we all start to worry about our weight. Whether you gained a few pounds during the winter or you have been trying to lose weight for a while, there is one thing to remember – SKIP THE DIET. Yes, it’s true, you should not be dieting. Let’s take a look at why this is true.
The Definition of Diet
According to Merriam Webster, a diet is “a regimen of eating and drinking sparingly so as to reduce one’s weight.” When you participate in this minimalistic consumption approach, you are actually harming your body because you are depriving it of what it needs. Instead, you should be focusing on speeding up your metabolism as that is the key to losing weight and looking great.
What is Metabolism?
Metabolism is a chemical reaction within your body and is what creates your body’s energy. It is what controls how your body handles incoming calories. People that do not have a high metabolism tend to store incoming calories rather than burning them, which can result in weight gain or a constant undesirable weight in a person.
Avoid Crash Diets
The next time you are tempted by the latest fad diet that promises to make you lose 10 pounds in the blink of an eye, ignore it! Instead, make your metabolism your main focus all of the time. When you feed and fuel your metabolism the right way, you will become leaner and healthier without the risks of a fad diet that ignores the vital nutrients that your body requires.
Do not Starve
Perhaps the largest mistake that most dieters make is choosing the starvation route. Starving your body of necessary nutrients only causes it to go into panic mode. This will cause your metabolism to slow down dramatically, which means that your body will not burn any calories because it is saving them for the future because it is fearful of not receiving any future energy.
What you can do to Lose Weight and Feel Great
So now that you know what you should not be doing, let’s focus on what you should be doing to gain that fast metabolism:
• Lift weights – Muscles burn more calories than fat, which means that the larger muscles that you have, the more calories you burn. Rather than dieting, choose weight training to build up those muscles and start burning calories all of the time.
• Use resistance training – Resistance training helps to fuel your metabolism by activating many muscles throughout your body, making them work harder for the next few hours, allowing you to burn more calories
• Drink water – Try to avoid drinking anything but water as it is the only drink that provides zero calories and no other harmful ingredients such as sugar or artificial sweeteners. Water is the only true way to rehydrate your body and is necessary to keep your metabolism going. If you let your body dehydrate, you naturally slow your metabolism down.
• Eat often – This is probably the most exciting thing about trying to gain a fast metabolism – you get to eat more often! It is better to eat 5 mini meals throughout the day rather than 3 big, energy draining meals. It helps to keep your blood sugar on an even keel and your metabolism fired up.
• Eat real food – The ability to eat more often comes with a caveat; it must be healthy food. It is best to stick to a whole foods plant based diet as often as possible in order to give your body what it needs. This means good carbohydrates, lean proteins and fruits and vegetables that span the colors of the rainbow.
When you follow these simple tips most of the time, you will reach your ideal weight or clothing size in a more natural, effective way. There is no strict diet that you need to follow or strange regimens that you need to perform. You simply need to eat well, exercise and drink water to gain a fast metabolism and your body will do the rest for you!